(E) signifies English link
Photo of the Day
- U.S. tool Company DeWalt featured at Iran International Industrial Trade Fair.
- In a reaction to increased taxation, the famous Isfahan bazaar stages a two day strike.
- Former Finance Minister Danesh-Ja’fari supports ousted Central Bank director Mazaheri and warns against more ousting of experts.
- Mesbahi Moghaddam, head of the economics committee of the Iranian parliament, warns the government against printing more money because of the excessive liquidity.
Human Rights and Labor
- Iranian teenager Mohammad-Reza Haddadi to be hanged for accepting legal responsibility for a murder when he was 15 years old.
Military and Security
- Commander Seyyed Masoud Jazayeri, deputy cultural and defense propaganda chief of the Armed Forces Command Council, says “not even U.S. arms can rescue the Zionist regime...”
- The Basij’s Ashoura and Al-Zahra Brigades to stage war games in northeastern Tehran, demonstrating their abilities in population control, relief and rescue operations, passive defense efforts and shooting.
- Alef News Agency publishes the minutes of the Revolutionary Guards prior to the Iran-Iraq War’s Ramadan Operation.
Religion, Culture, and Society
- History professor Hashem Aghajari wonders what society has truly managed to make people more pious by forcing them to wear hijab.
- The Iranian parliament discusses the “problems and hazards of super fast internet.”
- Grand Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi urges students at the Elmiyyeh Theological Seminary in Qom against “Those who minimize the role of the clergy. They are badly wrong and, in an Islamic country, nothing can be done without theological seminaries, sources of emulation and men of wisdom… If the clergy were not present at the frontline during the war and did not preach the religious truth, victory would not have been achieved. The theological seminaries must fight against innovations, mysticism and false claimants of a relationship with the Imam of the Era – of whom there unfortunately is many…”
- Head of the Islamic Republic National Heritage and Tourism Organization Esfandiar Rahim Mashayee, speaking at a conference on the best tourist sites of Iran, says “Tourism is a political act and has political consequences… Tourism is like a security barometer of a country…the number of foreign tourists to Iran has reached 2 millions…this victory in the field of tourism is not my victory, or the victory of anyone else in the [Tourism] organization. It is the promise of God and a divine victory…I believe that Cyrus [the Great, founder of the Persian Empire] in the history of Iran is not accidental. It is the investment of God [in the Iranian tourism sector].”
- Religio-nationalist activist Ezzatollah Sahabi says he supports former president Khatami’s preconditions for running for presidency.
- Ebrahim Yazdi says should Khatami manage to mobilize the social forces, winning the presidential elections would not be so difficult.
- Agah-Sazi publishes information about Ahmadinejad advisor Dr. Hamid Mowlana who has taught at various U.S. universities for the past fifty years and claims “Dr. Mowlana has always enjoyed divine blessings while living in the United States.”
- Tehran parliamentarian Mottahari says Kordan is a liar and is not qualified for a cabinet post.
- Expediency Council member Mohammad Hashemi Rafsanjani, in a vague reference to Interior Minister Kordan’s forged doctoral degree says “the least the public can expect from the political elites is honesty.”
- Former parliamentarian Morteza Tammaddon appointed governor-general of Tehran.
- Speaking with Venezuelan foreign minister, Ahmadinejad says “international conditions are changing to the benefit of Iran and Venezuela… Anti-imperialist waves are spreading throughout the world ever more violently and we must direct the new conditions to the benefit of the nations of the world…Iran-Venezuela cooperation can serve as a role model for bilateral relations in anti-imperialist struggle…”
- (E) Tehran Times jumps on anti-Palin bandwagon.
- (E) Opposition within Iran to any U.S. office in Iran.
- 5+1 Group to hold meeting about Iran in Sharm al-Sheikh, Egypt on November 26th.
- Foreign minister Mottaki says Iran will continue uranium enrichment.