[(E) signifies English link]
- In the last issue of Shahrvand-e Emrouz, since banned, Mohammad Qouchani laments weaknesses of the Iranian political system:
- 1. Iranians suffer from lack of professional politicians. All our politicians desire to display themselves as men of piety who hate power, but in practice, they crave it…
- 2. Iranians flee party political activity…
- 3. Iranians fear disagreements. They prefer to be of the same opinion as each other than express an opinion conflicting with opinion of others…
- 4. Iranian politicians are generalists… They love to talk about philosophy rather than comment on road building in Northern Iran, or about the arrest of a journalist…
- 5. Iranian politicians have a very good memory, which is a weakness…they think more about past grudges than compromises paving the road to a brighter future…”
- Acting Interior Minister Sadeq Mahsouli faces allegations that he acquired “fabulous wealth” through “speculation.”
- Moetalefeh spokesman Badamchian says ousted Interior Minister Ali Kordan was ready to resign, but Ahmadinejad demanded he serve until impeachment.
- Ayatollah Amjad says those involved Kordan’s impeachment are “sinners.”
- Mohammad Hashemi Rafsanjani, brother of the former president, announces his candidacy for president.
- Ahmadinejad travels to Mashhad to attend Imam Reza Cultural Festival, and plans trip to Mazandaran.
- Grand Ayatollah Sane’i says Obama’s victory is the result of party political activity and the success of U.S. political life.
- Parliamentary Speaker Ali Larijani prohibits parliamentarians from delivering interviews to “counterrevolutionary Persian-language media.”
- Finance Minister claims the U.S. financial crisis provides opportunities for Iran and announces “price correcting measures.”
- Ahmadinejad on economic crisis: “There are some who consider the developments in world economy as negative for Iran’s economy and even claim the negative effects on Iran’s economy are greater than on Western economies. I am amazed by such statements. Behind this statement there is no logic…The International Monetary Fund is taking money from our pockets and is trying to fill the vacuum in Western economies with our money…our country is among the countries suffering least from the economic crisis…”
- Real estate prices in Tehran jump 53 percent.
- Tomato price doubles.
- Yadollah Asna-Ashari appointed secretary-general of the Central Bank.
- (E) Iran to introduce new mobile telephone carrier.
- (E) Duhok, Barzani-led city in Iraqi Kurdistan, hosts Iranian trade fair.
- (E) 13th meeting of China-Iran Joint Economic Commission.
Military and Security
- Law Enforcement Forces explain use of closed circuit surveillance cameras.
Religion, Culture, and Society
- Grand Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi says “Wahabism is contrary to human progress.”
- (E) Imam Reza birthday.
- Ahmad Tavakkoli head of the Iranian parliament’s research center attacks Ahmadinejad’s letter congratulating Obama. More here.
- Partov-e Sokhan editor Ravan-Bakhsh defends Ahmadinejad’s letter.
- (E) Tehran awaits change.
- (E) Brazil does not accept unilateral sanctions on Iran.
Photo of the Day
- Ahmadinejad enters Mashhad.