- Central Bank Director Mahmoud Bahmani, commenting on the decline in oil prices, says one can’t “rule out $54 billion decline in exports” and urged stimulation of non-oil exports. More here. (E) And in English.
- Introduction of the Value Added Tax suspended by presidential decree.
- E’temad-e Melli’s panel of economists attacks Ahmadinejad’s economic policies, here and here.
- Members of the Parliament’s Economics and Finance Committee warn that the budget deficit of the Ahmadinejad government is much greater than announced.
- Shahab News accuses the Ahmadinejad government of having mismanaged oil revenue.
- Housing prices rise in Sistan va Balouchestan province.
- Resalat reports that the Islamic Republic is now self-sufficient in production of land based oil platforms.
- Moe’talefeh’s Asgar-Owladi proposes a common theoretical approach to the issue of development in Iran. More here.
- Ahmadinejad to inaugurate the 6th, 7th and 8th phases of South Pars Gas Field.
- Kayhan warns Principalist movements against challenging Ahmadinejad’s second term.
- Former speaker of the parliament Nateq Nouri may challenge Ahmadinejad in presidential elections.
- Resalat interprets Khatami’s remarks on the power of the presidency as a sign he will not run for president.
- E’temad Melli’s report on Khatami’s comments.
- E’temad-e Melli publishes the names of its 55 central committee members.
- (E) Parliament mulling impeachment of Interior Minister Ali Kordan.
Military and Security
- Iranian Army Ground Forces chief Amir Ahmad Reza Pour Dastan says there has been a significant change and development of tactics and doctrine during the past thirty years and that the “enemy would be surprised” in case of aggression against Iran.
- Iranian males who have not served their military service can obtain permission to leave the country prior to their service upon depositing 50,000,000 rials.
- 1,300 Basij members to stage war games in Gonbad Kavous.
- Iranian Army stages aerial bombardment preparedness exercise.
- Kayhan publishes an article on the role of the Jahad-e Sazandegi [Construction Jihad] during the Iran-Iraq war.
- (E) What was CIA director doing in Lebanon?
- Parliamentary Speaker Ali Larijani says the “U.S. must pursue a different policy towards the Middle East.”
- Kayhan slams U.S. support for Japan’s membership on the U.N. Security Council, suggests Japan has bribed or threatened U.N. member states to vote for Japan. More.
- Tehran mayor Qalibaf, visiting Tokyo, urges Japan to protest against “double standards of the great powers” with regard to the Iranian nuclear issue.
- (E) Iran opens cinemas in Afghanistan.
- (E) Iran wants balanced strategic partnership with Russia.
Religion, Culture, and Society
- Resalat runs a major article on millenarianism and those who claim to be the Mahdi’s intermediary.
- Oil Minister Nowzari claims that in next 30 years, Iran will be the major natural gas exporter to Europe.
- Communication and Information Technology minister Mohammad Soleymani visits Belarus.
Photo of the Day
- Seeking a world’s record for largest sandwich.