Last week, former McCain campaign staffer Soren Dayton asked if Obama was “killing the Goose that lays the Golden Eggs“:
Barack Obama has built a mythical fundraising operation based on small-dollar donors. These were primarily upper-middle class affluents who were energized by a change message. These were also the netroots. Recall that the 3 issues at the core of the netroots are FISA, Iraq, and net neutrality. Obama’s recent actions seem to be going to be undermining his appeal with both of these groups, with potentially disastrous consequences for his small-dollar online fundraising.
After the FISA vote today, I was over at liberal blog Firedoglake and the comments on this post were mighty interesting:
- Fortunately I haven’t given his campaign much money; I’ll let them keep it, and donate elsewhere, where it will be put to better use.
- Can Obama opt back in for Public Financing? He’s gonna need it…! I think the net roots funding has shriveled up and died…!
- Yessiree, I’m pissed. voting for yes… $, mmm, prob. not.
- Is there any consumer fraud involved with him saying he would fight to eliminate telco immunity, then reverses? Can you get our money back?
- Just blogged on My.BarackObama.com that I’d not be giving any more money to his campaign, will be going to Accountability PAC instead.
- I seriously think we need to consider organizing a write-in campaign. I think we could do it.
Etc., etc. You get the picture.