It’s far from clear to me that focusing on Planned Parenthood’s finances, as House Oversight Committee chairman Jason Chaffetz (R., Utah) chose to do at Tuesday’s hearing, was the best course. But a report released by Chaffetz to accompany the hearing does raise obvious questions about why Planned Parenthood needs $500-plus million from taxpayers to operate. A few highlights, all taken from Planned Parenthood’s annual reports and tax returns . . .
Extravagant compensation packages:
From 2009 to 2013, Planned Parenthood and its related organizations paid President Cecile Richards more than $2.47 million, 10 which includes $590,928 for 2013.
Planned Parenthood reports that over 40 of its executives earned salaries of $200,000 or more over the years 2009 to 2013. They include:
- $459,827: employee at affiliate for Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota.
- $439,107: employee at Planned Parenthood Hudson Peconic.
- $398,779: employee at Planned Parenthood of Southern New England.
- $387,269: employee at Planned Parenthood of Mar Monte.
- $377,468: employee at Planned Parenthood of the Great Northwest.
- $311,497 (including $75,000 in bonus and incentive compensation): employee at Planned Parenthood of Northern New England.
- $244,412 (including $135,289 bonus and incentive compensation): employee at Planned Parenthood of Northern New England.
A whole lot of globetrotting:
Planned Parenthood spent $5,109,997 on travel in 2013. That is nearly $14,000 a day on travel. This does not include affiliate travel expenditures.
Affiliates also reported substantial travel expenses. One affiliate spent more than $784,000 in a year. Several affiliates were spending more $400,000 annually.
And a striking reduction in services:
The total number of cancer screening services decreased by nearly 50 percent — from 1,830,811 in 2009 to 935,573 in 2013.
The number of breast cancer screenings dropped dramatically — Planned Parenthood provided 830,312 exams in 2009. In 2013 the number was just 487,029. That same year, they performed 327,653 abortions.
Lastly: The Southeast Ohio Planned Parenthood affiliate held a “Murder Mystery” fundraiser.
Oh, I know who did it! I know!