Some of the interviewers (Bob Schieffer!, for instance) in the last few days could have used this e-mailer on staff (maybe he’s available for presidential debates in four years):
I’ve followed the dialogue over the last few days. Based on the commentary, here’s a suggestion: POST A LIST OF SPECIFIC QUESTIONS, POSED DIRECTLY TO SENATOR SPECTER, WITH A CALL FOR HIM TO HOLD A PRESS CONFERENCE ( NOT AN INTERVIEW) TO ANSWER THEM BEFORE HE ASSUMES THE CHAIRMANSHIP. For example:
1. If your philosophy concerning judicial nominees is applied to the replacement for Justice Rehnquist, won’t that necessarily move the Court TO THE LEFT? If so, does that bother you?
2. Can you name ONE Supreme Court Justice who was appointed by a Democratic President AND IS ALSO a middle of the road non-ideologue?
3. What EXACTLY was you rationale for opposing Robert Bork?
4. Do you think our tort system needs reform? Will you support the President’s tort reform initiative?
5, Do you think that your track record is subject to the SAME SCRUTINY received by judicial nominees?
6. What is your connection to the Kerry/Specter election signs? Do you know who produced them? What do you think of those signs?
…The goal is to SQUEEZE HIM so that even if he eventually becomes the Chairman HE’S ON RECORD with respect to the questions our concerns.