We have promises to keep, promises made by Bill Buckley in 1955, which include being relentless in fighting socialism. That means reminding new generations of its evil and rotten core; exposing its allure; spotlighting its manifestations, especially in the body politic; and, to paraphrase WFB from another occasion, socking it in the blankety-blank face so its stays plastered. Our current 2019 Spring Webathon has raised (or better stated: some 350 selfless NR friends have contributed) $40,000 towards our goal of $175,000, which we hope is reached by May 31st.
Yep, we have miles to go. And we walk them with good people, who not only donate, but encourage. Such as:
• Rick, who tenders $200, and waxes generational: “Thank you for leading the charge to preserve our nation and keep it strong for my kids and grandkids!” And their grandkids Rick; we intend to be there for them.
• Erich finds $100 and could do lots else with it, but opts for helping us. Why? “NR is a much-needed voice. Happy to help keep it going.” Not as happy as we are for your helping us! Thanks.
• Linda, ever generous, spots us $500. With it comes praise and matter-of-fact advice: “Keep up the good work, and encourage your contributors to at least support Trump when they can. If we allow another Democrat to be elected next time, it will be over! I held my nose and voted for him, but he’s the devil we know, and he will appoint conservatives to the court, won’t socialize medicine, will try to do something about the border mess, and won’t be talking about race every three seconds. PLEASE!” Amen Linda. You have been so good to us.
• Another soul who has been a fierce friend is Teressa, who tosses $100 into the collection basket while she joins us on the ramparts: “It’s amazing how socialism keeps returning to the American mindset of the few, thank heavens, while world history can only cough up socialism failing, time and time again. There are no socialism success stories, none. Fini!” It’s Lucy and the football, right T? Thanks for the kindness.
• Christopher sends us $100 and speaks for thousands: “Thank you NR team for being a place where I am challenged, encouraged and enlightened!” Thanks C Man for helping us accomplish that.
• Todd makes with a $50 donation and asks nicely: “Please keep up your wonderful mission of informing American citizens. I read your site every day and it is a key part of keeping myself educated on the issues. Gradually, the media is discovering how awesome your writers truly are by having them on their shows. God bless you all!” But only after He blesses you Todd!
• Last . . . Tom sends us a big, fat grand. Zowie! He too is a man of his word: “I promised Mr. Bewkes this at the Ideas Summit a bit ago. Wish I could give more.”
Tom, you’ve done your part, and a heck of a lot more. We hope your contribution, and those of the other NR benefactors cited above, inspire as many more to join us in the fight to bloody socialism. Your generous donation can be made here. If a more traditional means of kindness is preferred, make your a check payable to “National Review” and mail it to National Review, ATTN: Spring 2019 Webathon, 19 West 44th Street, New York, NY 10036. To quote Todd, God bless you all!