– Glimmer of bipartisanship in Senate, “blaze of bipartisanship in the House,” on repeal of anti-trust exemption by 406–19 vote. “A very strong message that, yes, the insurance companies need to be reined in.”
– Pelosi the first to deploy Ted Kennedy for sentimental value.
– “I’ve seen grown men cry” over health-care woes. (No political theater?)
– “Health-care reform is entitlement reform. . . . We have a moral obligation to reduce the deficit.”(!)
– “Not just about health-care for America, it’s about a healthier America.”
– Americans “don’t want to hear about process, they want to hear about results” (on reconciliation, presumably).
– “Unless we pass this legislation, we cannot keep our promises on Medicare.”