News

White House

Trump Administration to Cut Off Abortion Providers from Family-Planning Funds

Signs at a pro-choice rally in Washington, D.C., in 2011. (Reuters photo: Joshua Roberts)

The Trump administration is set to announce a new regulation Friday afternoon that will prohibit abortion providers, as well as organizations that refer women to those providers, from accessing Title X family-planning funds, the New York Times reports.

The policy represents a return to a Reagan-era rule that required organizations that received federal family-planning dollars to maintain “physical separation” and “separate personnel” that divide their abortion services from their other services.

Critics allege that the Trump administration’s rule is actually more burdensome than the Reagan administration’s rule, because it targets organizations that refer women seeking abortions to providers, as well as those groups that actually provide the procedure.

Dawn Laguens, the executive vice president of Planned Parenthood Federation of America, described the policy as “outrageous” and “dangerous.” The rule, she said in a Thursday statement, is “designed to make it impossible for millions of patients to get birth control or preventive care from reproductive health care providers like Planned Parenthood. This is designed to force doctors and nurses to lie to their patients. It would have devastating consequences across this country.”

Marjorie Dannenfelser, the president of the pro-life group Susan B. Anthony List, thanked Trump and said his decision would “energize” conservatives ahead of the 2018 midterm elections.

“We thank President Trump for taking action to disentangle taxpayers from the abortion business,” Dannenfelser said, adding that the president “has shown decisive leadership, delivering on a key promise to pro-life voters who worked so hard to elect him.”

Like the Reagan-era restriction, which was tied up in the courts and eventually rescinded under President Bill Clinton, the Trump administration’s move is likely to invite legal challenges from Planned Parenthood and other groups.

Trump targeted Planned Parenthood in April of last year, signing legislation that nullified an Obama-era rule barring state and local governments from withholding federal funding from organizations that provide certain reproductive-health services, regardless of whether they also provide abortions.

Jack Crowe — Jack Crowe is a news writer at National Review Online.

Most Popular

Politics & Policy

The Origins of Progressive Agony

What has transformed the Democratic party into an anguished progressive movement that incorporates the tactics of the street, embraces maenadism, reverts to Sixties carnival barking, and is radicalized by a new young socialist movement? Even party chairman Tom Perez concedes that there are “no moderate ... Read More
Elections

How Will the Senate Races Break?

How will the Senate races break? We have less public polling to go on than in recent years, so answering that question is harder than ever. But the news is more optimistic for Republicans than it was a month ago.   Waves and Breakers Four years ago, I projected in mid September that if “historical ... Read More
PC Culture

Warren Is a Fraud

Senator Elizabeth Warren (D., Mass.) has been telling a story for years. It’s a deeply romantic story about her parents and their young love, fraught with the familial bigotry of an earlier time. Here’s how she told it this week in a video she released in preparation for her 2020 run: My daddy always said he ... Read More
U.S.

Two Minnesota Republican Candidates Assaulted

Two Republican candidates for state office in Minnesota have been physically assaulted in recent days, leading prominent Republican lawmakers to caution their Democratic colleagues against employing inflammatory rhetoric. Republican state representative Sarah Anderson was punched in the arm last week after ... Read More
Law & the Courts

A Christian Man Receives Justice

A good man’s legal ordeal is at an end. Yesterday, my friends and former colleagues at the Alliance Defending Freedom announced that former Atlanta fire chief Kelvin Cochran had reached a $1.2 million settlement, ending a case he brought after the city fired him for writing -- and distributing to a select few ... Read More