Past Remnant guests Charles Murray and Steve Hayward join Jonah for an unprecedented recording of the Remnant with a live studio audience. They discuss their own lives and take questions from an audience of young people seeking direction about their futures.
- The Charles Murray Remnant episode.
- The Steve Hayward Remnant episode.
- The Curmudgeon’s Guide to Getting Ahead by Charles Murray , which contains more advice from Charles from an old person to a young(er) person.
- Charles Murray’s bubble quiz, which you can take to see how sheltered and privileged your upbringing was.
- Coming Apart by Charles Murray, which surveys the sociological disintegration and polarization of America since 1960.
- My eulogy for my father, Sid Goldberg, which was mentioned.
- “Democracy in the Tobacconist’s,” an essay I wrote for National Review about my cigar shop.
- The books G.K. Chesterton would have taken to a desert island: Thomas’ Guide to Practical Shipbuilding (joke answer) and Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens (real answer).
- “Politics and the English Language” by George Orwell, an essay all three panelists encouraged listeners to read.
- The works of C.S. Lewis recommended during the podcast included The Abolition of Man and Mere Christianity.
- Charles Murray recommended Aristotle’s Nichomachean Ethics.
- I recommended War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy, and The Conservative Intellectual Movement in America Since 1945 by George Nash.