Jonah invites fellow conservative history geek Matt Continetti of the Washington Free Beacon to explore the past, present, and future of conservatism as an ideology and as a movement. They pick up heaping helpings of neoconservatism, paleoconservatism, libertarianism, and Reaganism en route to a dessert of denouncing Sonny Bunch.
- Subscribe to The Remnant on iTunes and Stitcher to save this puppy from a terrible fate.
- Be better than Rich Lowry, read The Conservative Intellectual Movement in America Since 1945, by George Nash now.
- Justin Raimondo’s book on the Old Right.
- The Making of the American Conservative Mind, by Jeffrey Hart.
- More about J.T. Flynn.
- And Alcove 1.
- Irving Kristol’s anti-anti-McCarthy argument.
- Barry Goldwater, extremism in the defense of liberty.
- Irving Kristol, Two Cheers for Capitalism.
- My NR piece on why it’s a mistake to ask how conservatives lost the libertarians.
- Ronald Reagan on how Goldwater was the John the Baptist of the conservative movement in America.
- Me waiting for the Sweet Meteor of Death to save us.
- You shall not pass!
- Ramesh Ponnuru’s piece on right-wingers turning away from conservatism.
- Trilling’s “irritable mental gestures.”
- O’Sullivan’s law.